In the latest UFC match that was held after the pandemic, Kamaru Usman, who is a welterweight champion, showcased his talent. He worked hard and improved his talent of Pound-for-Pound. Usman made 5th defense of his title of 170-pound by knocking off Jorge Masvidal in 2nd round in the VyStar Veterans Arena, Florida. Masvidal expected that Usman would be dominant, and he was true. Masvidal also said that he was overconfident, and Usman showed him something that he didn’t show him in a previous fight which was held in 2020.
Masvidal thought that he and Usman would wrestle for at least 25 mins and Masvidal was ready for the same, but Usman didn’t let that happen and knocked him in less than 25 mins. Usman, at the age of 33, continued to be in the story even after the third round with his new trainer Trevor Wittman. Usman had a splendid performance, and this fights extended his winning streak to 14 fights. Masvidal said that it was his first time that he was knocked out in his whole career in which he had 54 fights. Usman- after his fight said, “Jacksonville, Florida, you all wanted violence? You’re welcome”, he also credited Masvidal for making him step up in his career.
UFC 261 card and results
- Kamaru Usman (c) def. Jorge Masvidal via second-round TKO (punches)
- Rose Namajunas (c) def. Weili Zhang via first-round knockout (head kick)
- Valentina Shevchenko (c) def. Jessica Andrade via second-round TKO (punches, elbows)
- Uriah Hall def. Chris Weidman via first-round TKO (leg injury)
- Anthony Smith def. Jimmy Crute via first-round TKO (doctor stoppage)
- Randy Brown def. Alex Oliveira via first-round submission (rear-naked choke)
- Dwight Grant def. Stefan Sekulic via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Brendan Allen def. Karl Roberson via first-round submission (heel hook)
- Patrick Sabatini def. Tristan Connelly via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Danaa Batgerel def. Kevin Natividad via first-round TKO (punches)
- Kazula Vargas def. Rong Zhu via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jeffrey Molina def. Aoriqileng via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Ariane Carnelossi def. Na Liang via second-round TKO (punches)