It’s been over three years since Johnny Depp and Amber Heard finalized their divorce, and yet the former couple’s legal battles continue to rage on.
Depp is currently suing Heard for $50 million, claiming that the actress violated their non-disclosure agreement when she identified herself as an abuse victim in an essay she wrote for the Washington Post.
The civil case — which is currently on hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic — has been a PR nightmare for both parties, as lawyers for Heard and Depp continue to raise the stakes with shocking allegations.
Last month, attorneys alleged that Heard almost killed Depp when she hurled a liquor bottle at him during a fight and nearly severed his finger.
The claim came on the heels of an audio recording in which Heard admitted to assaulting Depp
Heard’s team countered with the claim that Depp cut off his own finger and attempted to frame his then-wife for the act.
Now, the actress has scored another victory in the court of public opinion, thanks to a 911 recording obtained by the Daily Mail, in which an unidentified female claims that Depp was in the act of brutally assaulting Heard.
“Hi, I need to report an assault right now happening at 849 Broadway at the Eastern building, it’s penthouse three,” the caller says.
“Send somebody up there please,” she continues.
The call is timestamped May 21, 2016, the night that Heard says Depp attacked her in their home.
Depp’s lawyers claim the call is part of an elaborate frame-up, noting that the voice on the recording does not match tha of iO Tillett Wright, a male friend of Heard’s who had previously been established as the one who called 911 that night.
“Quite simply this was an ambush, a hoax. They set Mr. Depp up by calling the cops but the first attempt didn’t do the trick,” Depp attorney Adam Waldman told Daily Mail.
“Mr. Depp’s representations about the 911 calls on the night of May 21, 2016 are false, and Mr. Depp and his lawyers should know better,” countered Roberta Kaplan, a lawyer for Heard.
Attorneys for Wright say that he called 911 from New York, and urged a friend to call from LA, where the assault was allegedly taking place.
Neither Depp nor Heard has commented on this latest development publicly.
Last month, Depp joined Instagram and thanked fans for their support throughout the ordeal, but otherwise, he has had very little to say abouyt the case in public venues.
We’ll continue to keep you updated on this developing story as new information becomes available.